HEATWRAP??

All car related chat...

HEATWRAP??

Postby Madderz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Hello guys,

First post and after reading on a few other forums etc thought I'd ask you lot on here.

Looking at wrapping my exhaust (421, decat and back end of straight through up to box)

Now here's the impression I'm under for pros and cons and bare in mind it's only on my little n/a civic so some of these won't apply :

Pros
-reduce engine bay temp so in turn reduces heat soak with a short ram and even with a CAI.
-helps reduce engine oil deterioration due to less heat in the bay and other components.
-smoother airflow for whatever reason?? Especially good for turbo'd cars
-more pops bangs and flames (which is of course essential :P)

Cons
-ugly as fuck (let's be honest)
-can causing cracking in cast metal (mines stainless so I believe that won't happen)
-traps moisture causing surface rust

And the last but by no means least con, now I'm unsure if this one is true or is just one of those myths to scare people from doing it lol and this that this heat wrap catches fire if you leave so much as a mm gap???!!

Those can't be true surely? As I still run lambdas (be it with O2 tricks) so how would I go about getting round that without leaving at least some sort of gap?? Same as at certain exhaust joint where say the B pipe and decat join its like a 3 bolt triangle mating plate that bolts together, gonna have to leave a pretty big gap there??

Can anyone shed any light? Anyone wrapped there system/manifold?

Cheers guys! Stu
Madderz

Re: HEATWRAP??

Postby Tiny Tim » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Unless your air filter sits close to a part of your exhaust system, i really wouldn't bother, you wont notice any difference.
As for pops and bangs, trust me, your exhaust will be getting hot enough, you're clearly just not overfuelling/have CATS inplace.
Tiny Tim
SWJCC Junky

Postby Madderz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey,
My air filter sits close to my 421 and I don't wanna fit a cold air induction as I don't wanna have to worry about puddles!! So I'm doing it to reduce heat soak! Flames arent a big deal was just wondering but no I'm not running a cat and I'd like to think I'm not overfuelling lol main concern was the fire risk bit lol

But cheers for your input at least someone replied!!

Pretty quiet forum eh?
Madderz

Postby Jizzworx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am

the main benifit is the exhaust flow but again only in turbo aplications

gas flows faster at hotter tempretures so the faster it moves through the manifold the faster it spools the turbo you also wrap the elbow and downpipe to get it out as quick as it goes in......

pops and bangs are not good, alot of the time high EGT'S mean your running lean lean means melting stuff it does pop and bang due to excess fuel on run down but it will only pop if your egt's are high....

now for the bullshit... it does not catch fire... unless oil soaks into it...

stainless cracks just as quick as cast... if you have heat spots (1 or 2 mm gaps) it will make it crack quicker as that part will heat and cool quicker than the reast of the metal thats been wrapped......
Jizzworx
SWJCC Junky

Postby Madderz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:47 am

Yeah??

Well mine is a future boost project so may be worth doing now rather than later!!

Okay when you say a gap..... How do I avoid a gap when goin round such things as lambda or where two exhaust sections join?? No matter how well I wrap it there's gonnna be some sort of gap? But I assume the parts where the lambda or joining points are a lot thicker so therefore less likely to crack as appose to the thin wall of the tube bit of the exhaust?

I thought the fire thing was bollox.

Cheers for the reply Jizzworx, I think I now have you on FB :)
Madderz

Postby Jizzworx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:45 pm

there is only one jizzworx so possibly.....

just try your best to wrap it up tight it helps to soak it in water too as when it dries itll shrink and become tighter.....

double up in places to try and avoid any gaps cut it side on in places thatll help wrap over it....
Jizzworx
SWJCC Junky

Return to General Car Chat