Daze's street-style drift Nissan s14 Navan

Projects, Spec lists & Photos of your car here.
Please only one thread per car.

Daze's street-style drift Nissan s14 Navan

Postby Daze » Mon May 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Hey guys, thought I would post a bit more on this forum after coming to that huge multimeet the other weekend. Might as well start off with my project thread, this could be a long-read, so I will summarise as best I can!

Bought it looking like this

Added my Bride Brix seat and steering wheel

Bought some Apexi gauges

Got all 4 wheels matching - R33 GTR's

Replaced front discs & pads

And sparks

Bought Driftworks rad and Part Shop Max high mount intercooler for lots of $$$

Swapped the import LSD diff for UK s13 welded

Also installed the rad, then went drifting

Some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYfXOd8HUM

Thought I was rich and bought GeoMaster hubs lol

Bought a roof spoiler, sprayed & fitted it

Fitted Takata harnesses

Finally found the time to fit Part Shop Max HMIC cooler

Did an oil change, went for a drive with the gf to New Forest

Clutch started slipping so bought this

And got it fitted, along with lightened flywheel

Got +20mm extended front LCA's made up

Went on a dyno run

Not bad power!

Bought Vibra-Technics gearbox mount

And a Kouki rear spoiler for super cheap off eBay

And sprayed & fitted it

Did some more skids, broke this

Bodged it and cracked on with the day, not too bad

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jHxN10HNI

Fitted front & rear GeoMasters with a mate, was a horrible job

Car was SLAMMED because of rollcenter correction hubs

Cut & extended rear coilovers so I can raise the car

Done

Got the car aligned

Turbo gaskets failed, crap

Fixed it all up, new gaskets, nuts, bolts, studs, everything all new. Fitted new stainless elbow too

Went for a drive, got stuck on a speed bump

Got a mate to cut off middle box

Done

Took a cool pic

Fitted an engine torque damper with some gay carbon wrap on it. Ughh

Beat the crap out of my inner arches to stop rubbing

Bought & fitted stainless air box

A mate took some rolling shots on the way to the SWJCC meet!

And this weekend just gone, did some skids with some mates being a Drift Taxi for the day!

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfkKSiOWHxA

Pheeewww done! Comments welcome :) Thanks!
Daze
Sticking Around

Re: Daze's street-style drift Nissan s14 Navan

Postby Boods » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Love it mate! Nice story and nice car.
Boods
Sticking Around

Postby Chris Type R » Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 pm

thats a cool build thread mate great effort i'll be keeping a close eye on this build :D
THE BWOSS MAN
K&N - Powerflo - Japspeed - Mugen - D1 Spec - Tegiwa imports - Jimmy up
Chris Type R
Club Owner

Postby LEX11S » Mon May 13, 2013 11:26 pm

looks good mate nice looking motor
1gfe 1998cc 24v 6 cylinder
Ike engineering turbo kit
330hp 300ftlb @ 1.00bar-DEAD soon to be 400hp....i hope
Modified madness show and shine winner 16/02/2011
IF YOU CAN`T SAY ANYTHING CONSTRUCTIVE THEN DON’T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL
LEX11S
Club Owner

Postby Daze » Mon May 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Thanks guys, will be updating the project thread as & when things happen!

No more drift days planned at the moment, funds are a bit tight and I need new front tyres - never cheap eh! This weekend should see some good progress on the car, getting exhaust modified a bit to accomodate for more low's, along with some other custom bits made up.

:)
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby civic98 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:23 am

Awesome build thread buddy, qaulity looking car
civic98
Regular

Postby z32bolt » Wed May 15, 2013 7:46 pm

Proper function over form car that, nice little beastie.
z32bolt
Regular

Postby Daze » Wed May 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks guys :) Its fairly function > form at the moment, I do try to think like that, but silly me wants to go lower still haha.

Some of the bits I'm having done on the car this weekend will allow me to run lower, but only time will tell if this affects the car's abilities or not!
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 am

Small update, but since my tyres have been completely eaten & destroyed by rubbing on that front brake hose bracket, I needed new tyres. Really wanted some track tyres (AD08 or RSR's) but simply can't afford them, even though I'm sure they are miles better. Maybe next time.

I've also gone for a smaller profile, 235/40/17 down to a 215/40/17. This will lower the car 8mm, but also increase the arch gap by 8mm, meaning I can drop the car even further on the front which is what I want. I should be able to drop the suspension 4-6mm once these tyres are fitted, meaning overall drop of around 14mm, and still be better off than I am now with clearance.

Shameless photo because I was bored on lunch :)

This weekend should see a load of updates on the car, looking forward to getting the exhaust flexi on and whole system tucked up some more. I'm hoping then I can equal the new low's on the front with a healthy drop on the rear, I aim to drop it around 15-20mm, increasing negative-rake.
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Sat May 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Right, this is a huge update so bear with me! Got a load done today and super happy with everything that's been done to the car.

First thing was to check out what was making a knocking noise from the nearside front corner. I was suspecting it was coilover top mounts, but it appears to be more than that. Shock body/rod seems to have loads of play in it. Not good news at all, as I cannot afford new coilovers! Got a video to show what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqWC_CB_MB0

Hopefully I can find a pair of decent front coilovers, or perhaps rebuild them? Will be calling Apex Performance in the morning as I've read they sell all the parts separately in order to rebuild the coilovers.

After being disappointed in finding that, we got started on adding the flexi between turbo elbow & downpipe. I've taken loads of photos, so I will let mainly the photos do the talking-

Original, before any changes

Elbow & downpipe off, flexi offered up next to it for comparison

My buddy Stu made a kickass jig up to ensure it aligned back on the car when we were done

In the jig, before any changes

Some cutting happened

Flanges cut off

Flexi offered up

And then many welding minutes later, done!

Spot on!!

Fitted back onto the car

Bang on, couldn't be happier with it. Huge thanks to to "Big Stu" for doing basically all the work! I'm rubbish when it comes to welding/fabricating, wish I were better at it!

Here's a video with cat-back detached from system to show the available moment in the flexi joint, very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IW1plOchP8

While he was busy making things look awesome, I did an oil & filter change

And then, whilst we were waiting for the downpipe to cool down, some wheels/tyre swapping happened. I'm now on 215/40/17 Falken FK452's on the front, given a LOT more clearance in all areas which is good.

Talking of clearance, some of the on-going issues with having silly GeoMaster lock. DW bent tension rods & whiteline front ARB hitting the tyre/wheel

And only a few mm's away from tie rod nut

Need to get lock stops fabricated up shortly to avoid doing any bad stuff.

Lastly, I wanted the rear exhaust flange removed, it was scraping/catching on the ground a lot

So whole system cat-back came off

Snip snip

Got a ratchet strap around the 2 pipes to bring them closer together, giving more clearance around diff & rear ARB

Job done, few more mm's clearance and less stuff to snag/catch on.

Drove down the road quick and took some photos, they came out nicer than I thought.

Rear fitment looks weak, sucks. Need to look at that in the coming months perhaps

All in all, hectic but decent day's work on the car. Really happy!
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Chris Type R » Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 am

Proper impressive daze I'm loving this build you planning on taking it on any skid days soon?
THE BWOSS MAN
K&N - Powerflo - Japspeed - Mugen - D1 Spec - Tegiwa imports - Jimmy up
Chris Type R
Club Owner

Postby z32bolt » Sun May 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Coming on quickly that, the flexi joint on the exhaust is a nice choice really helps, I keep cracking my downpipes because of lack of flex and damn speed bumps, wouldn't be so bad if they weren't such a pain to remove and weld up again. I take it your going to pop on some lower arms which will give you some more clearance up front? And as for the rear stance personally I think its enough, any more and you will be pushing for a look that more dub cool than racecar usefull, however Im guessing an extra 20mm offset on those rears would be of help? the setup on the s body is quite similar to that of the z(pretty sure when Nissan developed the design for the z32 they then used it later on the r32 and s14 why resign something that works so well when its already on your parts list) and the clearance on the lower arm can be a pain in the ass. I love the r33 alloys, toyed with them quite a bit myself but they were a little narrow at the rear for me.
z32bolt
Regular

Postby joewinstanley » Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 pm

car look insane, need to see this in person.
joewinstanley
Valued Club Member

Postby Daze » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 am

Chris Type R wrote:Proper impressive daze I'm loving this build you planning on taking it on any skid days soon?

Thanks mate! Not sure at the moment, funds are a little tight, but perhaps next month hopefully!

z32bolt wrote:Coming on quickly that, the flexi joint on the exhaust is a nice choice really helps, I keep cracking my downpipes because of lack of flex and damn speed bumps, wouldn't be so bad if they weren't such a pain to remove and weld up again. I take it your going to pop on some lower arms which will give you some more clearance up front? And as for the rear stance personally I think its enough, any more and you will be pushing for a look that more dub cool than racecar usefull, however Im guessing an extra 20mm offset on those rears would be of help? the setup on the s body is quite similar to that of the z(pretty sure when Nissan developed the design for the z32 they then used it later on the r32 and s14 why resign something that works so well when its already on your parts list) and the clearance on the lower arm can be a pain in the ass. I love the r33 alloys, toyed with them quite a bit myself but they were a little narrow at the rear for me.

Haha thanks buddy. Wow, lot of questions here!

Lower arms to give more clearance, what do you mean? I have s14 front lower control arms, but +20mm welded & extended in them. I don't fancy running adjustable front LCA's as its something else to adjust/go wrong/seize up. Plus, don't see a point in it really. More clearance can be achieved by larger spacers on the wheels, which I might try.

Rear fitment can be improved on, but my rear arches are falling apart due to the lips being cut out in Japan and never undersealed. Shortly wil be replacing entire rear quater panels with non-rusty ones, then will get fitment closer & better.

And yeah, R33 rims look great I think, on most things, apart from R33's haha :)

joewinstanley wrote:car look insane, need to see this in person.

Thanks man! Yeah, probably come down to another SWJCC meet soon!
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby joewinstanley » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

where did you get your skirts from
joewinstanley
Valued Club Member

Postby Daze » Mon May 20, 2013 11:15 pm

joewinstanley wrote:where did you get your skirts from

It came with the car. Its a Navan import, hence full Navan aero :)
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm

So, what with the issues I had going on with that front coilover, and also finding out the other front coilover has a small amount of play in it as well, I thought I might as well bite-the-bullet (again) and order up something else silly from Mr Driftworks.

A wild box appears.

Mmm, orange & black & stuff.

Arrived in less than 24 hours, can't argue with that! I'll be fitting them this week/weekend. Looking forward to having a direct comparison between my existing coilovers and these bad boys!
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Today cracked on with fitting the CS2 coilovers and getting lockstops made up. Went pretty well, I cracked on with fitting the coilovers whilst my buddy Stu fabricated lockstops up.

Did the rears first, easy. Old vs new. You can see where we extended the rear coilovers better now and how the CS2's are longer to accomodate for the roll center corrected GeoMaster knuckles.

Done, although not bolted up at the top you may notice

And the other side

I then moved to doing the fronts, made a n00b mistake in fitting the wrong side coilover on the passenger side. Swapped over the base mount though, all good

Old vs new, 1 to go

Whilst all this was going on, Stu was fabricating up the lockstops (fairly crappy photos, my camera was playing around!)

And done. Triangulation brace to ensure it doesn't bend.

Non-adjustable, but shouldn't need to adjust it ever to be honest. Can always cut it off and re-weld/make it again if I find it causes problems, but so far seems good.

Not much lock wasted, only a few degree's. But brings the wheel/tyre away from the ARB by a few mm's which is the important thing.

We checked this on the ground & with the front suspension under compression and its +/- at least 20mm of "lockstop" to knock against, so hopefully shouldn't ever go beyond the lockstop area, if that makes sense. Again - will need to drive it properly again to really test what its like :)

In regards to where the wheel was rubbing the front LCA, I've added +10mm to the front setup and it seems to have done the trick. Only time will tell I guess, but everything is moved further away from where it was hitting previously and seems good. Front is now 17x9 et30 +25mm spacers (et5 effective) with a 215/40/17. Seems miles better. Happy!

Went for a bit of a drive, CS2's on full soft setting and so far seems amazing! They seem to soak up the bumps a lot nicer than before, obviously because they are running fully soft, but they just seem to "work" better, lol.

Picked the misses up front work, ride height still settling & needs some tweaking, but not bad overall. Approx half inch lower on rear and 10-15mm lower front than it was before.

Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:49 am

Well well, this is pretty nuts! I saw the Speedhunters blog the other day advertising about their Worshop 01, held at Snetterton circuit, and asking for experienced (but non-pro) drifters to apply. Interested, I applied for it. And to my amazement, this morning I got an email saying I was one of only 11 other people to get through!

Amazing!!

In short, this Sunday at Snetterton 100 circuit, I'll be joining 11 other people and we'll get to meet Fredric Aasbø in his Formula D GT86 and Mad Mike in his D1NZ Redbull RX8! Getting there, we'll be chatting to them about how to progress professionally in the sport, how to go about sponsorship deals and of course, car setup, and better driving techniques. They'll sit in with me in my car whilst I drive, then they'll be giving feedback directly to me on how to improve my driving! Awesome!

More about it here - http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/05/spe ... orkshop-01

So this is what I'll be doing on Sunday! Now a bit of a rush to double check the car over, get some tyres fitted to rims, and load her up!
Daze
Sticking Around

Postby Daze » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Will be writing a lot more on this update shortly, but yesterday went to Snetterton circuit for the Speedhunters Workshop 01 with Mad Mike in his RX8 and Fredric Aasbø in his GT86/FR-S. The day was incredible, learnt so much and had a lot of fun.

For now, I'll leave you with this short video of one of my better runs of the day. Circuit was VERY grippy, but the silk smooth tarmac was lovely to drive on. More photos, words & videos coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxqsqO3zT4
Daze
Sticking Around

Next

Return to Project Cars